American Certification Body is an approved Certification Body for the United Kingdom Government.
Need help with UKCA Marking? Our staff keeps abreast of the latest in Radio and Compliance information. Up-to-the-minute standards information is critical in this fast-paced, dynamic world economy. Contact your regional ACB representative for more info.
The UKCA Mark will be mandatory from January 1, 2022 for products sold on the GB market. A combined UKCA and CE Marking is suggested for products that are placed on the market in the EU, GB and Northern Ireland.
- UKCA Updates
- What Does Brexit Mean for CE Marked Products?
- FAQ for Mobile Devices under the UKCA Regime: Mobile Devices
Questions and Answers:
Question: In order to apply the UKCA Mark, will manufacturers need to obtain a certificate from a Notified Body? Or can they simply test to the British Standards using an accredited lab and then apply the mark, similarly to the way they currently apply the CE Mark.
Answer: The conformity assessment procedures in the UK are exactly the same as the conformance assessment procedures in the EU. I wish to note that the requirement to solely apply BS standards has disappeared in the meantime. Please see: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/designated-standards
Before 1 January 2022:
- Application of standards which are on the list of designated standards: UKCA DoC with reference to the UK regulations or (voluntary) obtaining a UKCA certificate or (voluntary) obtaining a Notified Body EU-type examination certificate.
- Application of standards which are not on the list of designated standards: UKCA certificate OR Notified Body EU-type examination certificate for the RED since the CE mark is still accepted in the UK until 1 January 2022.
After 31 December 2021:
- Application of standards which are on the list of designated standards: UKCA DoC with reference to the UK regulations or (voluntary) obtaining a UKCA certificate
- Application of standards which are not on the list of designated standards: UKCA certificate
A UKCA certificate can only be obtained from an approved certification body for the UK regulations.
If you have an existing EU RED type examination certificate, to obtain a UKCA TEC, we need the following:
- Copy of a valid EU-type examination certificate;
- Copy of product label which needs to demonstrate how the UKCA marking is placed on the product label or information of how the requirements in Schedule 44 of the UK Radio Regulations regarding the UKCA marking otherwise have been met.
- Copy of the technical documentation which was used as the basis for the issue of the EU-type examination certificate, including the information of how the requirements in Article 10.10 of the RED 2014/53/EU have been met.
- Information about how the requirements in Schedule 14 of the UK Radio Regulations (similar to Article 10.10 of the RED 2014/53/EU) have been met.
See also: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/using-the-ukca-marking